10.04.14 - RPI Responds to Red Foxes on the Road

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – The Engineers arrived at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center looking to turn their disappointing overtime loss into a successful 3-point weekend with a win on Marist College’s home ice. RPI would again break onto the scoreboard first, taking advantage of a Red Fox penalty. Sophomore Nick Ambery moved the puck along the blueline just inside the Marist defensive end before sliding it to Junior Sam Mannion halfway down the wall. Mannion would collect and zip a centering pass to linemate Freshman Kevin Yun in the slot, who one-timed his first of the season past Marist netminder Tom Dorsey with six and a half minutes remaining in the first period.

Back-and-forth play continued as both teams would take their share of penalties, yet neither could put one in the back of the net until late in the second frame. Capitalizing on an Engineer slashing infraction, the Red Foxes would sweep up the rebound on a shot from the point to knot the score at one goal apiece with less than two minutes remaining in the period. Marist would maintain the momentum as the teams headed to the locker room for the second intermission.

Refusing to lose another game in the third period, the Engineers took to the ice with a purpose and redirected the momentum in their favor. Just under five minutes into the final stanza, Senior Kevin Sheridan would find Sophomore Zach White on the breakout. White would take over from here, fighting past a Marist forward in the neutral zone before breaking into the offensive end, splitting the Red Foxes’ attempt at defense before blowing the puck past Dorsey to give the Engineers the lead. The penalties continued back and forth until RPI again, showing their special teams abilities, capitalized on a Marist high-sticking penalty. Junior Patrick Quarry found Senior Rusty Teller at the point with room to move. Teller fired a shot on the ice that found the angled blade of Senior Connor Blake’s stick before sailing over the left shoulder of Dorsey with less than four minutes to play. An eerily similar situation to that of the previous evening, the Engineers knew it was their game to win or lose. This time, no penalties were taken and Marist only managed to put in one final goal before the buzzer sounded. RPI put up a much more impressive defensive effort, Spencer Whitehead turning away all but two of 25 shots, as the Engineers achieved their three-point weekend with a victory on the road, 3—2.

JH 19