10.03.14 - Marist College Takes Engineers to Overtime

TROY, NY – The Engineers welcomed Marist College to the Houston Fieldhouse Friday evening to begin the two-game weekend with the Red Foxes. Over the past two years, the competition between these two teams has been nothing short of stiff. Out of four outings, two have needed an extra period in order to reach a conclusion. With such fierce competition between these two squads comes an added level of aggressiveness on the ice. Consequently, it was not out of reach to assume that this would not be the cleanest hockey game one has ever witnessed. And from the first drop of the puck, it was clear that this year would be no different from the rest.

Neither team was able to get on the board during the first period. In fact, neither team was able to score until just under 37 minutes into the game. Both goaltenders turned away over 20 shots before Marist netminder Tom Dorsey allowed the Engineers to take the lead. Sophomore Zach White controlled the puck behind the Red Foxes’ goal before finding fellow linemate Senior Kevin Sheridan on the doorstep. Sheridan would redirect the pass behind him to where Dorsey had no chance of stopping Junior Teo Camadella from putting the Engineers on the scoreboard. The goal seemed to light a fire under both teams as pace of play picked up for the remainder of the period. However, RPI would head to the locker room up by one with one period to play.

The high-intensity action continued scoreless into the third period until Camadella received a blueline-to-blueline pass from Junior Josh Huett. After putting the puck between the legs of a Marist defender, Camadella picked it back up and fired it into the top-right corner, recording his second goal of the game (4th of the season). Four minutes later, Marist would finally muster up enough offensive force to put home a puck that took a big bounce off the end boards and ended up in front of the net. However, Junior Patrick Quarry would reestablish the two-goal RPI lead with four and a half minutes left to play in the game. Freshman Tanner Richardson held the blueline on a Marist breakout attempt before flipping it on net. Quarry would glove down the puck before sliding it between the outstretched legs of Dorsey, giving what RPI believed was their insurance goal to seal the win. Yet, a Marist goal made possible by another awkward deflection followed by a major penalty for boarding on RPI Sophomore Nick Ambery would leave the Engineers down a man and only up a goal with little more than a minute to play. The Red Foxes would take advantage of the 6-on-4 opportunity and tie the game at three with just 22 seconds left in the third.

The major penalty remained on the board as Junior Adam Hennick would join Ambery in the box on a delay of game call less than two minutes into overtime. Down two men, the Engineers did all they could to hold off the Red Foxes, yet a shot from the point again rebounded directly to the stick of a Marist forward facing an open net. Despite the efforts of Junior Spencer Whitehead, stopping 37 of 41 Marist attempts on goal, the Engineers allowed the Red Foxes to come from behind and win; final score 4 – 3.

JH 19